Monday, November 14, 2011

Wall Street Protests

I've often told myself I don't want to get into anything too heavy, or especially, I guess, political, here, but I think the protests on Wall Street definitely deserve being talked about.  Especially since they've now been going on for a while.  And even where I live.

Courtesy of abcnews.com


I want to start out by saying I do not agree with Herman Cain's recent statements on the Piers Morgan Show that these protestors are spoiled and that if they really want a job, they'd be out looking instead of wasting time protesting.  These people have been looking for jobs.  These are the people who are fed up with merely looking for a job.  Are they supposed to look indefinitely?  What if they never find one?  There comes a point when people have to make a stand and anyone who says doing so is a waste of time simply does not get it.

I just read on a facebook profile, "Get a job" is the new, "Let them eat cake" and it's so true.  It's easy for someone with a job to throw those three words around, but there are plenty of people out of work today with not only an education, but experience and tenacity and still they cannot find work.  The people protesting are standing up for not only themselves, but also for the people who are out there pounding the pavement day after day.  Someone has got to do something and I appreciate the efforts of the protestors.

That being said, while sifting through OWS videos on YouTube, you do see their commercial, which seems a step in the right direction by getting the word out there, etc.:



But, you also find countless videos of "police brutality" and general mayhem at these protests and it leads me to wonder if this movement has moved beyond being useful.  I recently read a good article on The Atlantic about the current image problem of the Occupy movement and I have to say, I agree.  While part of me definitely has romantic ideas about the anti-war movement of the 1960s, and I often consider myself a sort of nouveau hippie, I definitely think that when a movement begins to be associated with arrests and violence and the spread of disease, it begins to lose credibility; especially in the eyes of your average middle-Americans.  Rather than aligning themselves with the generally unpopular anti-war protests of the '60s, OWS should take a page from the Civil Rights Movement, of the '50s, which is generally respected and viewed as a success,

I say, get this movement back on track.  It started with a definite, undeniable truth and could potentially do a lot of good, but only if it cleans up its act, re-focuses, and moves forward.  The biggest corporations in this country own the government.  Every election cycle we, as US citizens, are denied candidates who may really have the knowledge and ability to actually bring about change.  That is because big business funds these political candidacies.  They give donations towards all the ads, television spots, bumper-stickers and paraphernalia, etc. you see every election year.  This results in the only candidates we as Americans are really aware of, are the ones big corporations are allowing us to be aware of.  The real need here is to get Washington out of the hands of big business and back into the hands of the American people.  But that's just my opinion.  Who knows?  If OWS can get back on track, maybe Occupy Washington will be next?  One could only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment