Monday, November 21, 2011

Selling Our Lives Online

So, the hubby and I are testing the waters of online sales.  I know the economy is down and people aren't buying as much in general, so now may not be the best time to start this, but that's why we're starting off easy at the moment.  For now, we've collected a bunch of stuff that our friends and family members want to get rid of and we're selling the items for them while taking only a commission of the sales.

I'm curious though, if any of you out there have done the same thing and what kind of luck you've had with it.  We've sort of spread our inventory out across several sites, trying them out to see what's the best fit for the items we have.  We've got some things for sale on Amazon, some on eBay, some on Craigslist, and soon, I'm going to try out Etsy.  What have you had the best luck with?  Who takes the smallest percentage?  So far, I like the way Amazon takes their percentage right off the top, then pays you, as opposed to the way eBay bills you for their percentage afterward.  But, I like the way you get paid right away with eBay as opposed to waiting for payment from Amazon every pay period like with a regular job.  I'm not impressed with either of their limitations on the number of items you can sell when starting off, though I suppose 40 items on Amazon is much better than eBay's 10 items a month.  I understand their reason for doing it, but I still don't like it.

So, what are your experiences?  What's your advice?  I'd love to hear from you.

In the meantime, if you'd like to check out what little we currently have for sale on Amazon, go ahead and click here.  And for eBay, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment