Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Celtic Festival

Several weekends ago now, my husband and I took my 81-year-old grandmother to the Celtic Festival at Sherwood Forest.  Yes, you read that sentence correctly. 

Copyright SherwoodForestFaire by Brian O'Leary
The festival was actually at the end of September, so it was quite a while ago now, but better late than never, in this case.  I really wanted to write a quick note about it because it was a blast.  Now, let me just say that I've always held the silly belief that these things (Renaissance Faires included) were for freaks and geeks and have generally steered clear of them, but that weekend we wanted something different to do, so we decided to have a go.  And guess what?  As it turns out, I myself am a big freak and a great big geek (big surprise) and for that reason I had a a great time at this festival.

The celtic was a wonderful time for children of all ages, set in a "magical" forest, outside Austin, quite literally in the middle of nowhere.  We seemed to be driving forever to get there.  But, as I would expect is the case in the real Sherwood Forest (Is there a real Sherwood Forest?), the setting, the height of the trees and the ground cover, were quite authentic.  (Very Robin Hood and his Merry Men indeed.)  In fact, all the shops and costumes were very well done as well.  I'd venture to say, it was almost as good as Disneyland!  The only thing that was quite different from anywhere in Britain I've ever been was the stifling Texas heat!  (Maybe November or February next time instead?)

Anyway, I'm sure you all know what you can expect from similar festivals: the music, the food, the beer, dancing, costumes, period games and entertainment, etc.  If you've never been to one of these things, I really recommend it.  It's the stepping-back-in-time-kind-of-fun that almost makes the overpriced food and beverage stalls worth it!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment