Sunday, August 7, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 53

Blog Originally Published: August 13, 2007 - 3:19 PM

Hard Day’s Journey Into Night



Things I noticed while road tripping:
1.  Living in Austin has seriously spoiled me.
As if stopping at quick stops isn't disgusting enough in the first place (Seriously, what do the toilets at these people's homes look like?  If the way they treat public toilets is any indication, I don't even want to know the answer to that question!), I went into a public toilet where smoking was allowed and just about passed out.  I always take for granted the luxury of going into a non-smoking place of business until I leave Austin.  Ack.  I can barely stand to STAND in these places where smoking is allowed.   (In case you haven't gotten the memo, it's 2007.  Smoking is no longer cute.)
2.  Seeing someone in a Beatles or Macca/any other solo Beatle t-shirt is like seeing a lost member of your secret tribe.  (To paraphrase a Clapton quote I read a little while ago.)
I was in one of the aforementioned quick stops (wearing my "Here Come the Fabulous Beatles" 1964 Tour t-shirt) when I saw a man wearing a Paul McCartney US Tour t-shirt.  I had an urge to hug him.  We made eye contact, but sadly, never got to express our love for The Beatles (or each other) to one another.  Still, I immediately liked him, just because he had that shirt on.  For a moment I felt like I was in the presence of someone else who "gets it" and I was so excited.  Insane?  Of course.
3.  Camels
Sorry.  I couldn't really think up a catchy little intro-sentence for this topic.  (As if the others have been catchy.)  It's just so strange.  Camels in a field.  In the middle of nowhere.  In Texas.  That's all that needs to be said, I think.  Camels.  Yep.
4.  There are FRECKING crickets EVERYWHERE!!!  (Even and especially in kitty's mouth.)
Someone please explain to me why?  I'm so thoroughly disgusted by this I can't even begin to tell you.
5.  The best thing about traveling to the ends of the earth?  Being told to turn down the music literally every five minutes. 
No, really!  So what if I want to listen to my iPod on shuffle playing the Beatles, Dylan, Clapton, Sean Lennon, the Redwalls, and Paul Simon (in that order) the whole trip?   I swear the music wasn't even loud. Get some ear plugs!   I'm so glad to be home.  I was ready to climb a clock tower.  It's been a friggin' Hard Day's Night, people!  Thank you and goo'night!

p.s. - My mom loves that chicken from Popeye's!

No comments:

Post a Comment