Monday, July 11, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 24

Blog Originally Published: February 6, 2007 - Sunday 12:46 PM

Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes



My grandmother watches the most bizarre things on television.  For instance, she was watching something called "They puppy bowl" while the Super Bowl was on.  And she'll sit all day watching the food network and taking notes like an obsessed school girl.  But she also watches the cable access channel.  Frequently.  Why?  I have no idea, but it cracks me up.  I'll walk by and hear some guy screaming about the bible, or some local band playing, or just a group of random people discussing nothing in particular.  And I always wonder what in the hell possesses these people to broadcast this stuff?  I mean, one day I heard some music that sounded like traditional Italian folk music or something, so I walked over and looked at the television and it was what appeared to be someone's home video of some big feast.  I don't know what was going on, but no one was talking to the camera, or narrating, or anything.  It was just people sitting around, passing food to each other and talking amongst themselves, but you couldn't even really hear what they were saying because it was obviously filmed with a home video camera and the mics on those things don't pick up sound from that far away.  It was literally like someone just decided, "Hey, why don't we broadcast this personal family video of all of us fat people sitting around eating, while Italian music plays in the corner of the room?"  But what I really want to know is, who was the person who said, "YEAH!  That's a freaking great idea!"  And more importantly, WHY, when I saw what my grandmother was watching, did I sit down and join her in watching this mind-numbingly pointless show?!!!  Freakin' mesmerizing Italians...
  
They get me every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment