Thursday, April 7, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 7

Blog Originally Published: July 3, 2006 - Monday 1:51 PM

So, Who Else Got Run Off The Road By An 18-Wheeler This Weekend?

What? Just me? Huh. That's weird.


 
Here's the story in a nutshell (Oooh, look at me. I'm in a nut shell... ok, nevermind.) :

Yesterday I was coming home from out of town (as I seem to be doing very often lately). And I was driving in the fast lane of a four-lane highway that was separated by a large grass median, minding my own business (essentially being the model driver). Cruise control: Set at 72. Weather conditions: Normal. Time: Approx. 5:00 in the afternoon. Then out of NO WHERE, this 18-wheeler, that was traveling in the slow lane alongside me, swerves hugely and veers into my lane giving me no time to hit the brakes or anything. So, I drive onto the median, a ditch (not super steep, but a ditch nonetheless; we would have rolled had we been in an SUV), across the median, and into oncoming traffic, at 72 mph! (Hey, my first thought was just to not get run the eff over, okay?) Luckily there was only one car on that side of the highway and he was in the slow lane, so he pulled way over onto the shoulder to avoid me. (He was too far back at the time the semi came into my lane to have seen it happen, so I'm sure he probably thought I was drunk or something, coming onto his side of the highway!) So once I realize, 'Hey, I'm going the wrong way' (it didn't take as long as you might think, thank you very much), I drive back into and across the ditch and onto the right side of the highway. And eventually I catch back up to the stupid semi. I don't know why, but I didn't take down his license plate number. I know I should have. The idiot. I don't think he ever even knew I was there. Then again, surely he saw me flying across the median! I dunno. There had been a car pulled over on the shoulder, so I guess that's why he swerved, but God, he almost ran right over me! But then what would all of you have done without these interesting little blogs to read? (Probably throw a party and rejoice. Don't think I don't know.)



Laugh and the world laughs with you..... Well, everyone except me, I'll really be laughing at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment