Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 3

Blog Originally Published: June 5, 2006 - Monday 2:17 PM

Maybe I'm The Faggot America



I'm always sort of hesitant about what to post on this blog. (You know, Should I worry about turning people off with my opinions? Should I keep things light and airy? How much do I really want complete strangers to know about me? Will people start stalking me because of the information I provide here? What? It's a serious problem. It is. Don't make me come over there.)

Even so, I heard a discussion this morning that, as a halfway intelligent person living on this planet, I don't think I can ignore and therefore am going to talk about it here. (Lucky you.) The conversation was about the talked-to-death topic of "putting a constitutional ban on gay marriage." Now first off, let me state that I am not gay. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with being gay, it's just simply not the way I was born, which, I believe is how some people are born. BUT, I do know people that are gay and, living in Austin, I do have gay friends. (I can hear all of you gasping in horror! Yeah right. So I have gay friends, who cares, right? Exactly.) That being said, WHO THE EFF CARES IF GAY PEOPLE WANT TO GET MARRIED???!!! I mean, Jesus Christ, leave them alone! Do we, as a country, not have more important things to worry about than if Fred and Bill want to get married and have children? FREAKING LET THEM!!!

Anyway, this morning they were talking about how it's such a waste of our money (taxpayers) to go around trying to get this ban because it's never going to happen. EVER! Our constitution was not created to take rights away from people. It was designed to give them rights. (i.e.- The right to bear arms, putting an end to slavery, changing the voting age to include younger people and women, etc, etc, etc...)

While I know that it can be crooked and full of crap (as are pretty much every other government on the face of the earth), our government is still one of the best around. (Though I do think if more people would educate themselves on issues and vote it could DEFINITELY improve. Hence the disaster that is our current administration.) But, if you think that many of the issues that politicians raise are not simply raised in their own interests, you are sadly mistaken. Conservatives get this topic of gay marriage going around because they know it will rile up all the small-minded people in the United States and get them to vote Republican when election time rolls around. (And I'm not just talking about presidential elections. They want them voting this way EVERY election. They just do. Democrats are the same way.) They know a ban on gay marriage is never going to pass, but they keep this up, wasting our money, because they know it gets conservatives on their side. (And to them, its mostly about Republicans vs. Democrats, which is an entirely different subject that annoys the hell out of me, but I wont get into it here Don't think I didn't hear that sigh of relief.)

It's all completely ridiculous and I am sick to death of hearing about it. And meanwhile, Fred and Bill can't get legally married and raise the family they've always wanted because these politicians are out there playing a numbers game. Ugh. (Thank you for allowing me to rant. Now you see why I hesitate to post this stuff.)



"Well maybe I'm the faggot America
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda
Now everybody do the propaganda
And sing along in the age of paranoia"

God bless Green Day.

1 comment: