Sunday, April 17, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 20

Blog Originally Published: January 26, 2007 - Friday 2:38 PM
(Yay! This is the blog where I first met my husband!)

London's Calling



Lately I've been accepting more and more friend requests from people outside of Texas. Why? Because I see it as having the potential to be very useful (or at least partially useful) in the future.

I used to have this fear of meeting people from the internet in real life. (Okay, I'll admit, I still have never met someone from the internet in real life, but I'm not opposed to it now.) I think it was instilled in me years ago when the web first started to become mainstream and popular. You know, when you used to hear all these stories of people meeting people online, and then meeting them in person and they weren't really who they said they were. And then they raped and/or killed and/or ate the people that went to meet them. You know, the typical bedtime stories your parents used to tell you when you were young (to help you go to sleep, of course).

Well, that and there was this sort of stigma attached to meeting people online back then ("Back then" like it was so long ago! Ha!). "What? You have to meet people online? You can't meet people "in real life"? What's wrong with you? Loser." (I mean, no one said that to me, but that was the general attitude toward it, I think.) But I don't think that stigma applies too much anymore. Or maybe it's just that I don't give a shit anymore. Now, I think it's a sort of cool way to meet people that you wouldn't normally meet "in real life." Especially people who have similar interests as you (coughBeatlefreakscough) but are not in your same city, or state even. Which, brings me back to my original point. (Yes, I had a point, don't act so surprised.)

Lately I've been thinking what a great tool the internet is for making contacts that live elsewhere in the world. I want to travel. I LOVE to travel. But I don't really know anyone that has as strong a desire to travel as I do. (Money's a problem, other commitments, blah, blah, blah.) And I don't actually know too many people "in real life" (that phrase just keeps coming up, eh?) that live in other countries. I should have some family somewhere in Spain but I've never met them, and I know this guy that lives in England, one of my aunt's ex-boyfriends lives in Italy, but none of these people are people that I could really stay with should I (and when I finally do) travel overseas.

SO (to make a long story even longer), I've been thinking that if I could make friends with people, over the internet, that live in cities I want to travel to, then I would have a place to stay when I want to go, even if only for a couple of days at a time. That may be wishful thinking, but I believe it could work! So, if you're reading this blog right now and you live anywhere besides Austin (preferably somewhere in Europe or the UK), send me a friend request!

I've really been wanting to go to England lately. And I'm thinking I'm going to try to go sometime within the next 6 months or so. I'll have to get some plans together, but I'd like to go and travel all around the UK for a couple of months or so. Maybe get a job over there doing... I dunno... bartending, or working in a boutique or something. Is Carnaby Street still a happening place or am I totally living in the '60s? See? I need to go find these things out. I'm just so sad and pathetic here in Austin, Texas, never having been out of the country. (Well, except for to Mexico, but that barely even counts.)

I just feel the travel bug and I have to do something about it!! (You know how I hate bugs.)



Itchy and Scratchy

2 comments:

  1. about 10 months later you DID go to England! So that 6 month estimate was pretty good eh? You just needed the motivation of a handsome man to come. Yes I'm talking about me! The bar-tending or working in a boutique never worked out but now you're married to me, it should be easier to get a job over there! Would you like that? If we move back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'd love to go to England!
    I'm currently in Buenos Aires apartments because I work here, but my dream is to go there!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete