Monday, April 4, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 2

Blog Originally Published: May 30, 2006 - Tuesday 5:05 PM

I Was Just Thinking



I was just thinking (yes it does happen occasionally, don't look so surprised) about rock stars and their "groupies." And it occurred to me that girl rockers probably don't have male "groupies." At least not in the same way that male rockers have female "groupies." (You know, women hanging around after concerts, trying to get invited backstage, breaking into hotel rooms, and whatever else they do. I wouldn't know because I'm not one. What? I'm not.)

You never really hear about guys sleeping with managers and roadies and hangers-on to get at famous women like you do with female groupies. Why? I mean, why do girls want so bad to be with these singers, these band members, that they're willing do virtually anything? (I've seen Howard Stern. I've seen some of the things women are willing to do just to meet someone so I can only imagine the things they do for a chance to sleep with them.) I don't buy that "girls are just sluts" and guys aren't, so that's not a sufficient answer. (And women are just as smart as men, if not smarter, so don't give me that either.) But, then what exactly is the difference?

What makes women do things to get near these famous guys and what keeps boys from doing the same things? Are women more willing to put themselves out there (no pun intended)? Are guys afraid these famous rockers wouldn't give them the time of day? Is that it? Are they afraid of the rejection they might be faced with? But if that is the case, why don't women have the same fear? Is it because we have been programmed to think we can use our sexuality to get anything we want? (Now, I think I may be on to something here, because I don't think men are able to use their sexuality in the same way. Even if a man is attractive, we, as women, tend to look at a man like he's completely ridiculous if he tries to use his sex appeal to get near us. So, men have a disadvantage, in that respect.)

Even so, using our sexuality to get us places still requires a desire to get places (if that makes any sense whatsoever). So what I'm saying is, what drives girls to hang around after concerts in order to meet these famous men (to get their autographs or maybe even try to get invited to their room)? Where does the desire to be with these men come from? Is it because girls want to be able to say they're been with x number of celebrities? (And who are these girls that go around bragging about how many people they've slept with?) Is it that sort of grade school desire girls have to be more popular than her friends?

So, men aren't "groupies" in the way that girls can be. But, male fans, more often than female (I think), become stalkers of these rock stars. (I don't have any statistical proof, so don't even ask me to back that up.) So, is that how they deal with their desire to be near these famous people and is that better than being a groupie? Somehow I think not.

Anyway, I'm not really going anywhere and don't have a particular point I'm trying to make. (SURPRISE!) And I know it's a completely random topic, but it just crossed my mind and I had never really thought about it before, so I thought I would mention it here. (Lucky you.)



Me: "Hi. My name is Erica ..... I like to hear myself talk."

(Your line): "Hiiiiii, Erica."

Thank you and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment