Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 17

Blog Originally Published: October 23, 2006 - Monday 12:40 AM

If You Try Sometimes, You Mind Find


You get what you need!!!



I love the Beatles. (I think we've pretty well established that at this point.) And I would have LOVED (actually, I probably would have done just about anything) to have gone to a Beatles concert when they were together. (I know. I wasn't alive when they were a band... just do me a favor and go with it...) Alas, "you can't always get what you want." But tonight I did get what I needed. Well, as close as I'm gonna get to it at least. The Rolling Stones played Austin and I was there! (Cue: fireworks.)





It was a really great show. (And if I don't have too much of a contact high from everyone around us blazing up -- seriously there was a one-year old in front of us and I'm sure I saw him taking a couple of hits. Okay that's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much! -- I think I'll be able to tell you a little bit about it.) Those guys can rock it out. Man, can they rock it out! It's unbelievable the amount of energy Mick Jagger, particularly, has. I mean, really... the man has got to be on speed to keep it up the entire show the way he does. I think he's like 63 or so. It was incredible. And Ron Wood and Keith Richards (who, inexplicably, I find sexy. Oh, what? He was hot when he was younger!) both play the guitar like nobody's business. Really, it's sort of frustrating for someone who is trying to learn the guitar to see, but somehow I was able to see past my frustration!




They all looked great, you know, for a bunch of guys in their 60s who lived through the '60s. They did an homage to Austin by singing a song they supposedly had never played before an audience before, Waylon Jennings' "Bob Wills is Still the King." It was really cute seeing skinny little Mick behind his big guitar singing in a country accent, "If you ain't never been there, then I guess you ain't been told, that you can't live in Texas unless you got a lot of soul!" Too funny! And of course they did classics like "Sympathy for a Devil" and "Satisfaction" and "Honky Tonk Woman." They also did an old Motown classic that I can't recall at the moment, but was a pleasant surprise.

All in all it was a good concert. They filmed it to use on a dvd and there was a huge fireworks display at the end. (I think it was actually bigger than the show Austin puts on on the 4th of July!)

I am a bit of a Beatles traitor as I did purchase a Stones concert t-shirt! (I know, I should be killed.) But I wore my John Lennon shirt to the concert to show who I REALLY think is best! I'm sure they got the message. (Right.)

Fun times. I have to work in the morning... Yay!



Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment