Monday, April 11, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 15

Blog Originally Published: October 11, 2006 - Wednesday 4:23 PM

Elevators Can Be Scary



Have you ever gotten onto an elevator with only one other person and just thought, "This person could push the stop button right now and rape me, rob me, kill me, or do all of the above"? No? It's just me? All right. That makes sense I suppose. But I think about that all the time. It's not so bad when there are several people and you're all there together, but sometimes it's sort of creepy to be there alone with a stranger. Usually it's cool. You look straight up watching the floors light up as you pass each one and so does the other person. But every once in a while you get stuck with someone who wants to talk. Today was one of those days.

This guy, an older man, probably in his 50's, seemed harmless. He wasn't one of these creepy people I was talking about. But he was one of the talkers. He starts telling me what a hot day it is and being friendly, I agree. Then he's talking about how there are no clouds and it's humid out and something or other about the dew point etc., etc., etc... right? And that was all fine and good. But he should have stopped there. Unfortunately, he didn't. He found it necessary to tell me he was driving down 5th street earlier with the windows down and was, "just perspiring like you wouldn't believe!" WTF?! Why do I need to know that? Ok, maybe you're going, "Erica, that's not a big deal." And you're partially right. Everyone sweats. It was just the situation. 1.) I don't know this guy. 2.) Here I am, trapped in an elevator (a confined space with a limited amount of fresh air) with him and he's telling me that just a little while ago he was sweating like a pig?! Great. 3.) To make matters worse, he felt the need to add "Like I wouldn't believe." Jesus, that has GOT to be a lot of sweat! (Stop calling me Jesus.) Lovely.

Sorry if I offended any of you who may also like to share stories of your bodily functions with complete strangers.



What's that you say? Oh, you're right... no I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment