Thursday, April 7, 2011

Let's Go Back... WAY Back: A Series - Part 11

Blog Originally Published: September 1, 2006 - Friday 2:20 AM

IPods For The Homeless?



I stopped at a red light under an overpass earlier and this homeless guy was sitting there on a crate, with his backpack and plastic cup (complete with unidentified liquid I'm sure) sitting next to him. A typical sight in Austin, anyone who lives here knows all about. And he was wearing a baseball cap and his head was tilted down, but I could see his lips moving. And of course, I immediately assumed what anyone else would,

"Crazy homeless guy talking to himself," right? Exactly.

But I didn't mind if he was talking to himself. I talk to myself too and I'm not even homeless (just crazy). Frankly I was just glad he wasn't at my window asking for a handout. But THEN, upon closer inspection, I noticed a thin white cord hanging down from his ear and traveling into his pants pocket where the top of something small and white was just barely sticking out. And then I thought,

"An iPod?! Is this homeless man listening to a freaking iPod?! That suuuure is what it looks like! But, I don't even own an iPod! How come everyone in the free world owns an iPod except for me? Huh? WHY?"

And then after I stopped freaking out I thought of the possibility that maybe he wasn't homeless at all? But what other reason would he have for sitting on the side of the road... on a crate... with a backpack and plastic cup... in the 100 degree heat? Maybe his wife kicked him out of the house and all he got to take with him was his favorite crate, his son's backpack, and his iPod? No, that couldn't be it. He had to be homeless. That's where all the homeless people sit and..... listen to their iPods..... WTF does he have an iPod?!

And then whether or not it was actually an iPod became secondary as I began to wonder, "What might a homeless person have on his iPod?"

And that is the question I'll leave you with today, kids.



Peanut butter and jelly...

No comments:

Post a Comment