Friday, April 8, 2011

Flakes Of Craigslist

If the people who respond to ads on Craigslist are representative of any fraction of society, we are all in serious trouble.

This is not a joke, people!  Why is it that there are so many flakes on Craigslist?  Never in my life have I set up a time to stop by someone's house to look at an item I'm interested in purchasing, then just not shown up!  If ever something has come up and I haven't been able to make it, I have always notified the seller to let them know I'm not going to be able to come over on that day.  Even then, I can't recall a time this has ever happened.  So why is it that it has happened so many times to me?  These people have never seen a photo of me, so it's not as if my looks are scaring them away.  I've never been rude to them (that is an entirely different Craigslist-related rant), so my attitude surely hasn't put them off.  But, in one day, I had three completely unrelated people coming to look at three completely different items and not one of them showed up at the time we had agreed upon.  In fact, only one of them even bothered to call (an hour late), to tell me he'd be there, but not for another hour, then texted at that time to say he wouldn't be able to make it at all and to go ahead and sell it to someone else.  Fair enough for at least letting me know, but it was still slightly rude for being so much later than the time when he was supposed to have shown up in the first place.  And we wonder why, as a country, we are in the crapper.  Maybe because there are so many people in existence who simply do not stay true to commitments.  There are so many people who simply fail to accept any sort of responsibility for their actions.  How would these people have felt had we agreed upon a time to meet, then something came up on my end, and I had to go out at the last second when they were supposed to come over, resulting in my not being there after they'd bothered traveling all the way over to my place?  I'm guessing they wouldn't be too happy, had I not called or emailed to let them know beforehand.  So, why do they think it's okay for them not to show up.  I can't wrap my head around the reasoning.  What in God's name could possibly keep them from shooting me an email to let me know they're no longer interested, or that something came up?  I mean, really, what happened to those people they other day?  And the others who have pulled the same stunt before them?  And probably countless others?  I like to think they either died or simply dropped off the face of the earth.  Surely those are the only two logical explanations? 

6 comments:

  1. I found this post by googling 'why are there so many flakes on Caigslist?' I seriously cannot figure it out, either! I would NEVER do that to someone, even a perfect stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! ...or not? :-/ I'm just glad to know it's not just me! lol! Very strange though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry this happened to you, but like Erin, I found your post the exact same way- because I too have had this experience so many times! Not only with buyers but with sellers too.

    The sellers who will respond to a question such as "Is the item still for sale? If so, what time works for you for me to stop by and see it?" with vagueness, lack of detail, and/or not supplying a telephone # once I've volunteered mine, in case they need to get hold of me? I mean, really- do you want to sell your item, or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Wow. I really am speechless to know that these types of problems are so common across the country. I mean, I suppose I didn't think this kind of thing happened only in my area, but to have confirmation that it happens all over is, in a word, frightening.

      Delete
  4. It is an epidemic alright. doesn't matter if it's for a date with a potential partner, to buy something off CL, or anything. If someone cannot do something at a proposed time or day, that is fine. But don't agree to something then just not show up or cancel at the last minute.
    My sister has a habit of getting sick every time she needs to do something.

    I sometimes joke that the way to get rid of a stalker is to invite them to go out or come over. They will probably flake out and then vanish from the planet.

    ReplyDelete