Monday, September 13, 2010

Why, Oh Why, Do I Love Paris?

...Because my love is near!

Well, it's September and once again, I'm dreaming of traveling.  For some reason, lately I've found myself thinking about Paris.  I have been to Paris. Once.  For a day.  (I can hear you now, "A day?!  Who goes to Paris for only a day?!"  I do!  That's who!)  But, oh what a day it was.  Though it was early December and cold, and somewhat rushed, it was definitely a day to remember...

The trip started when we awoke that morning at 4:00 to catch the train from London to Paris.  I slept the whole way, and arrived looking like it!  After spending a good deal of wasted time trying to find our way out of the train station and onto the metro, we finally arrived in this very Parisian-looking square.  People hurried past on scooter and foot.  This photo was actually taken when we were leaving, but we left from the same place where we arrived.  (Notice my fiance at the right, wishing I'd hurry up so we don't miss our train!)


So, after stopping for a quick look at, and a picture of the Saint Michel sculpture and fountain, we headed  down Quai Saint Michel, only to see Notre Dame Cathedral in the distance.


Now, I don't mean to sound uninspired or ho-hum, but having now seen several old cathedrals and chapels and churches, this was definitely not as large or grand as I expected it to be.  It was still very cool though.  And luckily, we did catch on video, the ringing of the bells, which was awesome in itself.  Afterward, we stopped for a bite of lunch in a little French bistro.  I had a brie baguette and a glass of water... although I almost had it without the water!  It's no wonder people of other countries think Americans are stupid.  The waiter did all he could to pronounce "gas or no gas" (meaning did I want carbonated water or non-carbonated), in English, as clearly as possible, and I still couldn't get it.  I looked to my boyfriend for clarification, but he only shrugged.  "I'm British, not French!"  Well, foreign is foreign to us Americans, I guess?  Finally, the waiter had a thought.  "Pssh, o no pssh?" he asked, while twisting his hands in a motion as if unscrewing a cap off a bottle of water.  "OH!  No pssh!" I exclaimed, laughing.  Suddenly I understood.  Luckily, the waiter laughed too.  I should really learn french before I go back though.

Anyway, then it was on to the Louvre!


And, this place did not disappoint.  It was really sad that we rushed through and probably only saw 1/100th of what this breathtaking museum has to offer, but I got to see the Mona Lisa, so it was well worth the trip.  I'd love to go back and spend a week visiting the place.


Afterward, we walked through the one-time palace gardens, down toward the Concorde, which is like a really large roundabout.  We could see the Eiffel Tower in the distance.  It was simply amazing.  This is my fiance figuring out how he's going to get me there!  ;-)



This is me in front of the Eiffel Tower.  It was getting cloudy, but it wasn't quite as stormy-looking as this picture would suggest.  Nevertheless, I just love the effect and how this photo turned out.


This is a view from one side of the top of the Eiffel Tower.  You can see in this photo that it wasn't too dark yet.  It was extremely cold and windy up there though.  We wanted to go higher, but thought better of it in the end.  The view was beautiful enough from this point, as you can see.


Me standing atop the Eiffel Tower.  I had to put my hair up because of the unbelievable wind.  My fiance didn't trust me taking the photos from up there in case I dropped the camera because of the wind!


When we came down, it was darker and the tower was all lit up.  It was just beautiful.


And last, but not least, I couldn't leave Paris without a delicious meal and... even more important... creme brulee for dessert!  And, just in case you were wondering, it was as delicious and even more than you can imagine!


I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles...

2 comments:

  1. You missed alot out of the day here that i remember. For Example....

    We didn't spend that long figuring out how to get out of the train station.

    How did "pssh or no pssh" translate better than "gas or no gas"?

    You didn't tell us how you managed switch the real Mona Lisa with a fake and escape the Louvre with it? Also how you managed to affix two broomstick arms to the Venus De Milo?

    Also, You failed to tell us what happened while you were on the Eiffel Tower, How you spotted your deadly enemy 'Snookie' from Jersey Shore and how she paraglided off the top of the tower and you jumped on the lift and rode it down and stole a taxi and then finally battled and drowned her in the Seine.

    And lastly, You never told us about your chicken and mashed potato meal and how you managed to make the mashed potato look like a Pizza slice! SO CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but what our readers don't know won't hurt them. ;-)

    ReplyDelete