Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Locating Your Own History

I will be the first to admit I have been neglecting my blogging duties and for that, I apologize.  Ah, who am I kidding?  No one reads this anyway!  Still though, I had originally told myself I was going to try and blog daily if I was going to start a blog, and I haven't blogged now in a while.  I have a bit of an excuse though, in that I have family visiting.  It becomes difficult to blog when you're playing with a baby almost every minute you're not working.  She's the absolute cutest baby, too.  But, I digress.

Speaking of family, I would like to share with you all something that I recently learned.  For those of you interested in genealogy, you may or may not have already known this, but there are Family History Centers located the world over, that are run by volunteers and are absolutely free for anyone's use.  They are branches of the Family History Library located in Salt Lake City, and most are located in the meeting house of The Church of Latter Day Saints.  Now, before you stop reading this, you should know that you do not have to belong to the church in order to use these facilities, nor will they try and convert you.  In fact, they are likely not to speak to you much at all.  The facilities are for your use and they will not do research for you, but they will answer any question you may have.


Most centers will provide you with Microfilm or Microfiche records for a small fee.  The centers have internet access where you can search their own website FamilySearch.org, which has thousands and thousands of records transcribed and uploaded by volunteers.  Many also provide you with free access to the pay site, Ancestry.com as well as other genealogical websites.  Most centers also have a small collection of historical magazines, newspapers, atlases, and maps.

Click here to find locations and operating hours of a Family History Center near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment