Thursday, August 26, 2010

High School Reunion

So, my ten year high school reunion is coming up and quite frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do.  I have one friend in particular trying to talk me into going, but I just don't know.  I mean, I didn't have any "enemies" in school.  In fact, my entire class pretty much got along as one big group of friends.  It definitely was not the typical high school environment.  I mean, we had geeks, and jocks, and band nerds, and artists, and theater freaks, etc., but there was also much more to each of those groups than just tests and football games and plays.  You couldn't really call one group "popular" and another group "losers."  We all kind of hung around together.  We all got along.


That being said, I haven't seen or talked to (save Facebook comments) most of those people in, oh, I dunno... ten years?!  It just feels strange to think about seeing them again.  Then there's the point my brother made to me, "If you don't hang around them now, why would you want to go see them all?  What's the point?"  What is the point?  Is it purely to reminisce?  Do we just do it because it's what past generations of students have done and we feel obligated to follow in their footsteps?  Or is it to brag about where we all are now and what we're doing and have done?  If I mention that I was the Vice President of my class, would that make a difference?  Does that mean I'm required to go?


With the advent of social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace and even Twitter to a degree, don't we all know what each other are up to anyway?  For instance, if I was interested enough in what my former classmates were doing, I could probably tell you who was living where, who had kids, who was dating someone, or who just broke up, or who got married or divorced.  I could probably tell you who was looking for a job and who was looking to hire and even what some of them did last night or had for lunch today.  So, who needs a reunion, right?  Right?

I don't know.  I liked them all back then.  I went to school with a lot of smart, funny people.  But things and times have changed.  I've changed.  Then again, maybe that's the point?

1 comment:

  1. I very much doubt i'll ever go to any sort of reunion for my school. It was nearly 10 years ago we split up (we don't graduate in Britain, we split up, like The Beatles did) I mean nobody will bother organizing one anyway.

    Paul never went to his 10 year reunion. They phoned him in 1968 for it and he said "Yeah, i'm too busy recording The White Album" but they had a better time without him i think. Cocktail Sausages, Babysham and Cliff Richard. I mean they supposedly organized one for Quarry Bank in 1966 for the class of '56 and John said "I barely went there and if i did go it'll be 'Oh hello, John Lennon isn't it? and what are you doing these days?' Bugger off!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete